Keep up to date with the latest embedded systems news, from product news to new software!
If you would like to stay up to date with the news (without returning here all the time) sign up to our monthly newsletter here.
Follow us on Google News here!
- Raspberry Pi 400 “clone” features a 6-core CPU and 4GB RAMThe Raspberry Pi 400’s first clone comes in the form if the Orange Pi 800. This computer and keyboard combo features a Rockchip RK3399 SoC (system on chip), a 6-core 64-bit ARM processor. This SoC utilises the “big/little” architecture and consists of 2x Cortex-A72 high performance cores and 4x Cortex-A53 efficiency cores. Also present on… Continue reading Raspberry Pi 400 “clone” features a 6-core CPU and 4GB RAM
- Upcoming Banana Pi BPI-CM4 offers drop-in replacement for Raspberry Pi CM4Banana Pi have unveiled a work in progress compute module in the same form factor as the Raspberry Pi CM4 but it packs a bigger punch. This new board is called the Banana Pi BPI-CM4 and features an Amlogic A311D SoC, 2 or 4GB RAM and 16GB of storage. The board will also support optional… Continue reading Upcoming Banana Pi BPI-CM4 offers drop-in replacement for Raspberry Pi CM4
- Arm’s Smallest MCU now available on $9 LilyGO development boardArm HC32L110 MCU The Arm HC32L110 microcontroller packs a single Cortex M0+ core into a tiny 1.56 x 1.44mm package. For context, the Raspberry Pi RP2040 uses two M0+ cores in a 7 x 7mm package. The chip is available for around 60 pence a piece! The chip comes in a compact CSP-16 package (0.35mm… Continue reading Arm’s Smallest MCU now available on $9 LilyGO development board
- Ubuntu 22.04 LTS now supported on 2GB Raspberry Pi 4 modelsUbuntu 22.04 LTS was released on the 22nd April 2022 and whilst Ubuntu has been installable on Raspberry Pi 4 models with at least 4gb RAM, only now is Ubuntu officially supported on Pi 4 models with 2GB of RAM. This is due to zswap being enabled by default in Ubuntu 22.04. Zswap is essentially… Continue reading Ubuntu 22.04 LTS now supported on 2GB Raspberry Pi 4 models
- M5Stack refreshes the M5Stamp C3 RISC-V microcontrollerThe M5Stamp C3U is a refreshed version of the M5Stamp C3 which removes the CH9102 USB to UART converter, instead relying on the ESP32-C3’s onboard USB functionality. The rest of the M5Stamp C3U features the same functionality and components as the original M5Stamp C3. The specifications of the M5 Stamp C3U are as follows: ESP32-C3FH4… Continue reading M5Stack refreshes the M5Stamp C3 RISC-V microcontroller
- Round LCD Board based on RP2040/ESP-12E is now crowdfundingThe RoundyPi and RoundyFi are RP2040 and ESP-12E powered boards that feature a circular colour LCD. These boards are now crowdfunding! SB Components LTD is the company behind this new board. Specifications RoundyPi RoundyFi MCU RP2040 ESP-12E (ESP8266) Display 1.28 inch, 240×240 65k colours and GC9A01 SPI display driver 1.28 inch, 240×240 65k colours and… Continue reading Round LCD Board based on RP2040/ESP-12E is now crowdfunding
- Bulk RP2040 chips now available direct from Raspberry PiAlmost a year has passed since the Raspberry Pi Pico, and the RP2040, was released and the RP2040 has only been available from resellers thus far. However, Raspberry Pi is launching a new service, Raspberry Pi Direct. This is for direct-to-business sales only and RP2040 chips will still be available from resellers. The direct pricing… Continue reading Bulk RP2040 chips now available direct from Raspberry Pi
- ROCK5, a RK3588 based single-board computer, is now available for pre-orderRadxa announced the ROCK5, a RK3588 based single-board computer, yesterday (09 Jan 22) and it is now available for pre-order. The board features a Rockchip RK3588 processor, up to 16GB of LPDDR4x RAM, support for up to three displays, 2.5 Gbps Ethernet, WiFi 6E and Bluetooth 5.2 and a PCIe 3.0 x4 connector for NVMe… Continue reading ROCK5, a RK3588 based single-board computer, is now available for pre-order
- SparkFun “Retires” Pro Micro RP2040 – New Version Incoming?The SparkFun Pro Micro board (SparkFun part number: DEV-17717) has been retired by SparkFun Electronics. However, this does not appear to be the end of the Pro Micro RP2040 as a newer version (DEV-18288) appears to be it’s successor. There is no available stock of the updated part and SparkFun’s datasheets, schematics and GitHub repos… Continue reading SparkFun “Retires” Pro Micro RP2040 – New Version Incoming?
- Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W Quick ReviewIt has been six years since the launch of the Raspberry Pi Zero, a small form factor single board computer. Whilst it got a small refresh in early 2017, with the addition of wireless connectivity, a major update has been a long time coming. Last week the Raspberry Pi Foundation released the Raspberry Pi Zero… Continue reading Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W Quick Review
- Waveshare Electronics releases 3 RP2040 New BoardsToday, Waveshare Electronics released three RP2040 based boards: RP2040-Zero @ $4.99 RP2040-Plus @ $7.99 RP2040-LCD-0.96 @ $12.99 These boards are available for sale on Waveshare’s website – we are yet to see them in any other retailer. RP2040-Zero The RP2040-Zero board is a tiny stamp sized board which is just like the Tiny 2040 board… Continue reading Waveshare Electronics releases 3 RP2040 New Boards
- LattePanda 3 Delta Windows & Linux SBC Announced: Now CrowdfundingLattePanda have announced and started a kickstarter campaign for their new LattePanda 3 Delta Board. At the time of writing, this campaign has reached over twice it’s kickstarter goal. So what is the LattePanda 3? The LattePanda 3 Delta is the new version of the x86 combined with Arduino board introduced back in 2015. The… Continue reading LattePanda 3 Delta Windows & Linux SBC Announced: Now Crowdfunding
- Raspberry Pi Releases The Pi Zero 2 WOriginally released back in November 2015, Feb 2017 for the Zero W, the Raspberry Pi Zero has finally been upgraded. The Pi Zero 2 W brings the RP3A0 system-in-package so the small form factor of the zero. This chip was originally seen the the launch version of the Raspberry Pi 3. With a quad-core 64-bit… Continue reading Raspberry Pi Releases The Pi Zero 2 W
- FreeRTOS Now Supports Native SMP On RP2040The popular real time operating systems (RTOS), known as FreeRTOS, now supports symmetric multiprocessing (SMP). What is SMP you ask? SMP allows one instance of the FreeRTOS kernel to schedule tasks across multiple identical processor cores. The core architectures must be identical and share the same memory. The Raspberry Pi RP2040 chip is ideal for… Continue reading FreeRTOS Now Supports Native SMP On RP2040
- M5Stamp C3 Released Featuring 32-Bit RISK-V ESP-32C3 MCUM5Stack’s new development board, the M5Stamp, uses an ESP-32C3 MCU. The ESP-32C3 is a RISK-5 based microcontroller with Wi-Fi 4 and Bluetooth 5 LE connectivity. The onboard RSA-3072-based secure boot and the AES-128-XTS-based flash encryption ensure that devices are connected securely. The ESP32-C3 is supported through Espressif’s open-source ESP-IDF SDK. The M5 Stamp C3 comes… Continue reading M5Stamp C3 Released Featuring 32-Bit RISK-V ESP-32C3 MCU